Minutes for 09/09/02
We reviewed the September 5 public witness and thought it went very well. There were a few coordination problems and we thought that we should plan a short meeting the night before an event to handle unforeseen problems. It is also important to have:
- A person whose only job is seeking out and working with press during the demonstration. This person must pay attention to broadcast deadlines.
- Someone to do press phone calls the day of the event
- A slow walker at the front of any future march
- A sag car to pick up stragglers during a march
- Someone to call activists who don't or can't check email.
We talked about what to do next. Some suggestions and consequences were:
- Attend the Oct 19th Peace Network meeting in Lafayette, IN. Lee will go and others if possible to get to know other Indiana activists.
- Try to reach more people by holding signs near grape road or leafleting in the mall until we get thrown out (Zap attacks).
- Plan to try to vigil in First Amendment Free Zones if the site we are given has poor access to the dignitary we are picketing.
- For the last two ideas, we will need to do nonviolence training. Peter will plan a session. We agreed that CD should not be used for its own sake but only as necessary to further our message.
- We looked at the new Pledge of Resistance and decided to try to get folks to sign on to do whatever they felt they could do.
- We decided not to sponsor anything during the keep space for peace week (10/4-11) but will support other public actions. We want to expend all our energies to stop the war.
- We need to promulgate our plans in the event of an invasion so we can get large numbers of people out the day after the attack. Lee will prepare a plan for meeting and demonstrating for us to put on the web site.
- We can get good coverage by the press if we have colorful costumes when we do public witness.
Lee reminded folks about the Sept. 19 Jobs with Justice dinner. $30 per seat. Contact Lee ASAP.