Minutes for August 29, 2004 Meeting
Present: Lois, Pam, Ron, Lee, Caroline, Ellyn, Peter, Rey, Glenda Rae
- Kay Westhues, our webmaster for http://community.michiana.org/justice/,
and the michpeacejust listserv is not happy with the pop-up ads that appear
on the listserv. We polled the folks at the meeting and all were willing to
live with the ads (most just skip over them without reading them). If Kay
can find a free listserv server without ads, we are willing to change. Kay
also sent word that she is very busy and not able to keep the website as up-to-date
as she would like. Peter volunteered to help with this.
- Lee asked us to renew our Jobs with Justice membership ($50) and take out
a half page ad in their banquet booklet ($50). We agreed and passed the hat
through which we collected $55. Glenda Rae said that we have enough in the
bank to cover the rest of this expense.
- We discussed how to respond to the rhetoric from the Republican Convention.
We decided to make a bunch of new signs for the Monday vigils. Each of us
was to make two signs. Some of the slogans were: "Defend America, Defeat Bush,"
"Redefeat Bush," "Bush Wrong on Iraq War, Civil Rights Women's Rights, Tax
- We asked what people were doing to defeat the Bush agenda. Many of the
people at the meeting had been working at Democratic headquarters for the
Kerry, Kernan, and Donnolly campaigns. Rey mentioned that the Democrats have
not been straight with the Precinct committee chairs, sending voter registration
teams into the neighborhoods without coordinating with them.
- We asked what the Coalition should do as MPJC. No one thought we should
endorse any of the candidates -- Kerry, Kernan, or Donnolly -- all left something
to be desired. We all agreed that Bush must go. We decided to put the Move-on
ads on the website if possible and update the petition on the website, adding
the phrases "and the de-facto occupation of Iraq" and "no interference in
the affairs of Cuba or any other nation." We would not try to collect signatures
for the petition, but use it to try to convince people to vote against Bush.
- We talked about pushing yard signs and decided to inform the list about
their availability. Ed Jensen and Caroline both posted a source for "Bush
Must Go" yard signs. The person to contact is Darlene Catello, 232-5141, DGibson459@aol.com
The signs are $6 plus $1.50 for a different message on the back.
- Lois reported on a possible dialog between Muslims and Christians, and wondered
if we could encourage Jews to participate. We encouraged Lois to continue
her work on this.
- We decided to try to get out as many people as possible for the vigil on
August 30, to try and offset the Republican Convention backlash. We were each
to call three people. (Only the usual folks showed up for the vigil on the
30th.) Ellyn will put a notice in the Tribune again about the vigil.
- Next Meeting. We will meet at 1036 N. Niles on Tuesday, September 14. It
will be announced via the List Serv and at the weekly vigil.